Recognizing exemplary nurse leaders
The AONE Fellow Designation recognizes exemplary nurse leaders who have made significant and sustained contributions to the specialty of nursing leadership and to AONE. Nurse leaders who attain this prestigious honor are committed to shaping the future of nursing leadership through expert leadership practice, mentoring developing leaders, and contributing to AONE at the regional and national levels.
Established by a committee of AONE leaders, the AONE Fellow Designation honors members for excellence in nursing leadership and service to the organization. Gain recognition from your peers as part of an elite group of AONE members working to advance the field of nursing leadership as a recipient of the AONE Fellow Designation.
“Beyond excellence, AONE Fellow Designees demonstrate exemplary leadership practice with continual impact on the field of nursing leadership.”
—KT Waxman, DNP, RN, CENP, FAAN
Benefits of the AONE Fellow Designation
As a recipient of the AONE Fellow Designation, you demonstrate to your peers, your employer, and the field at large that you have the expertise and commitment needed to advance the specialty of nursing leadership. The AONE Fellow Designation reflects achievement at the highest level of nursing leadership and honors designees with:
- Peer recognition of your professional accomplishments and leadership contributions through AONE
- Elevation of your professional profile with an official endorsement of your expertise in nursing leadership
- Affirmation of your ongoing commitment to AONE and advancing the specialty of nursing leadership at the regional and national level
Fellow Application Checklist
☑️ A $350 non-refundable application fee. Application must be completed to be considered.
☑️ A narrative with sections in which applicants outline their contributions, with related outcomes, to the specialty of nursing leadership and to AONE.
☑️ View an example of the Fellow Designation application and review the below FAQ.
☑️ Two letters of support, at least one from a current AONE member.
☑️ A Curriculum Vitae that highlights the applicants’ contributions and outcomes and supports or expands on the narrative statement.
☑️ Confirm your membership status with AONE. Applicants must be current AONE members and have 7 non-consecutive years as an AONE member.
If you have questions about the AONE Fellow Designation, please contact AONE.
Frequently Asked Questions
Those designated as Fellows of the American Organization of Nurse Executives are nurse leaders who have made significant and sustained contributions to AONE and to the specialty of nursing leadership beyond their role expectations and employment settings. Beyond excellence, AONE Fellow Designees demonstrate exemplary leadership practice with impact at the regional, national, and even global arenas. AONE Fellows have achieved success in the field and commit to advance the specialty and shape the future of nursing leadership through expert leadership practice, engaging with nurse leaders in all arenas, mentoring other leaders, and contributing to AONE at the regional and national levels
- Leadership contributions and outcomes recognized at the regional, national, and/or global levels
- Contributions to AONE with outcomes
- Reflection on how AONE has influenced the leader’s professional development
The AONE Fellow designation focuses on the achievement of exemplary nursing leadership with specific attention given to:
Applicants must have been AONE members for at least 7 years although those years do not need to be consecutive. They must hold a current AONE membership.
Applicants must have attended a minimum of three AONE annual meetings.
Applicants must also hold an advanced degree at the Master’s level or higher with at least one degree in nursing (ex., BSN, MSN, DNP).
The AONE Fellowships are year-long, face-to-face education opportunities to develop skills and expand knowledge as part of the participants’ leadership evolution
The Fellow Designation is a title recognizing exemplary nursing leadership practice and contributions to AONE. It reflects achievement at the highest level of nursing leadership practice excellence
- Conduct and dissemination of research
- Professional publications
- Professional presentations that disseminate innovative work that can be replicated
- Demonstration that their innovations have been implemented and adopted by other employers/settings
- Attainment of professional leadership roles within professional associations
- Function as a trustee on a governance board
- Appointment as a nurse to a state or national leadership taskforce or committee
- Advancement of public policy beyond advocacy
- Local or national media presence within the domain of health and wellness
- Formally acknowledgement for advancement of professional practice in the regional, national, and/or global arena
It is recognized that nursing leaders may be exceptional in their jobs within organizations, making a significant and positive impact on those who work for them, on the outcomes of clinical care, and on the achievement of organizational goals. Nurse leaders wishing to achieve AONE Fellow Designation are highly effective within employment, but beyond their jobs also make contributions at the professional level that may include but are not limited to:
All members in good standing who meet core criteria are eligible to apply for Fellow Designation. Certification by AONE is not a requirement though paired with outcomes AONE certifications could be used to demonstrate AONE’s impact on your leadership evolution
- A general information application form that includes basic criteria which must be met for the remainder of the application to be reviewed
- A narrative with sections in which applicants outline their contributions, with related outcomes, to the specialty of nursing leadership and to AONE. In addition, applicants are asked to describe their future leadership development and goals and how those goals complement AONE’s mission and vision
- Each section of the narrative has specified word count limitations
- A Curriculum Vitae that highlights the applicants’ contributions and outcomes and supports or expands on the narrative statement
- Two letters of support, at least one of which must be written by a current AONE member
- In order to access and start your application, you must first pay the non-refundable $350 application fee
- Please first review the sample application available here to ensure you meet the eligibility criteria and understand the application requirements
- Submit application by the identified deadline
- Applications that are incomplete or miss the deadline will not be reviewed
Key considerations in the application process
- To save, click on the Save button and copy the link provided and type in your email for the link to be emailed to you. You will only be able to return to your application with this link. This link is private to you and only available at time of clicking on save. This link cannot be provided by AONE
Yes, there are two options on the online application form. You can submit (allowed once) and Save
The CV and narrative should reflect a leadership evolution that describes how the applicant’s involvement in and contributions at the affiliate level have contributed to the national mission and vision of AONE. The review process will assess the extent to which the affiliate contributions are connected to the mission and goals of AONE.
- Applications will be screened by AONE staff to determine if the applicants meet the basic criteria. Those applications that meet the basic criteria continue to the next step in the review process
- Each application will be reviewed by at least two AONE members with experience on the Fellow Designation design team
- The review team co-chairs will also review the applications
- The reviewers will use pre-established, rigorous and defined standards to review each application. This is designed to promote inter-rater reliability and consistency
- In addition to the content of the application, reviewers will assess the narrative’s clarity, organization, editing, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- The AONE Board confirms individuals chosen for Fellow Designation by the review committee
- For the 2019 application period, applications will be reviewed by those committee members. Subsequently, a portion of the team will rotate off and new members will be assimilated. As AONE Fellow Designees are confirmed over the next several years, the Board will appoint voluntary Fellow Designees to the review committee with goal for the entirety of the review committee membership to be Fellow Designees
- The AONE Board, staff and others will have no influence over the selection of Fellow Designees chosen by the review committee
The applications are not redacted so the reviewers will know the names of the applicants. Very strict guidelines have been created for the reviewers. The guidelines will be discussed with the review team and each reviewer must commit to following them.
If the reviewer assigned to an application has knowledge about the applicant’s leadership performance that would in any way influence that reviewer’s decision, that reviewer must recuse him/herself from that application. Only information provided in the application will be considered in the review process.
All information about every applicant to the AONE Fellow Designation Program is to be held in total confidentiality. No discussion or communication of the information outside the review process is permitted.
- Authors of support letters must have direct, sufficient knowledge of the applicant that will allow them to expand on the contributions and outcomes to both exemplary leadership practice beyond the applicant’s role scope and employment site as well as to AONE
- At least one author should include the applicant’s contributions to and engagement in AONE in his/her letter
- Note that current and past year review team members are not eligible to provide letters of support
- The applicant is responsible for verifying that at least one support letter author holds current AONE membership and receiving the author’s membership number
- Review the membership directory to find current AONE members
- The application decision rests solely on the review of written materials submitted by the applicant and his/her sponsors. Each submitted application rests on its own.
- There is to be no additional research by reviewers or AONE staff into any candidate’s application information, including internet searches or other sources of information.
- Applicants may not submit additional material such as copies of articles or presentations in support of their application.